21 Maya Angelou Quotes I Read For Inspiration & Clarity
Twenty-one years ago when I read "Phenomenonal Woman", I knew in that moment my life was forever changed. The words in Ms. Angelou's poem instilled a sense of pride in me.
This amazing women and feminist icon has shown me that my unconventional beauty wasn't something to be ashamed of; it was to be celebrated and appreciated.
- People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, you do better.
- When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.
- Never make other people a priority when all you are to them is an option.
- We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to acheive that beauty.
- You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to nobody.
- Hate. It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet.
- People don't change, they reveal who they really are.
- If you don't like something change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.
- I am a feminist. I've been a female a long time now. It'd be stupid not to be on my own side.
- You may not control all the events that happens to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
- Ask for what you want, and be prepared to get it.
- It's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.
- My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
- You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love and then do them so that people can't take their eyes off of you.
- Try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud.
- A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense...and arrives at her destination, prepared to be only herself.
- Hope and fear cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Invite one to stay.
- I would like to be know as an intelligent woman, a courageous woman, a loving woman, a woman who teaches by being.
- if you must look back, do so forgivingly. If you must look forward, do so prayerfully. However, the wisest thing you can do is be present in the present...gratefully.
- If you only have one smile in you, give it to the people you love.
Image from CreateHerStock