40 Things That Make Me Happy
Sometimes my life feels stressful and messy. Very very messy. But the most amazing thing about life is the each day brings a new lesson for me to learn.
My therapist (I started seeing after my brother died) is encouraging me to view my life as optimistically as possible.
Now, I'm not exactly a "Negative Nelly" but just like most people I can be really critical of myself. She has taught me to treat myself more compassionately and view my interaction with others the same way, with optimism and compassion.
This mindset shift has put me in a reflective mood. As a result, I've decided to make a list of the things that make me happy to keep as a daily reminder. I got this idea from Jill Conyers' post titled 50 Things That Make Me Happy.
I'm excited to share the list with you!
Disclaimer: I may have been hungry when I wrote this because there's a lot of food items on the list. I didn't edit the list because I want it to be an authentic reflection of how I felt in the moment. No edits. No take backs. Hope it doesn't make you hungry or hangry. Hahaha.
What Makes Me Happy
- My daughter
- Memories from my childhood of me and my older brother
- Watching episodes of Pysch on Netflix; hilarious show
- Drinking cups of Earl Grey and English Breakfast tea in the mornings
- Dark chocolate with sea salt and almonds
- Chipotle sofritas #yumminess
- Watching the squirrels chase one another up and down the trees; funny stuff
- Gazing at the clouds and stars; so beautiful
- Feeding my stray kitty, Milo
- Cover Fx total cover foundation; vegan and a great product!
- Baking vegan pastries
- Black nail polish
- Listening to inspirational podcasts
- Staying in my bed until 8am
- Painting pottery
- Reciting my morning affirmations
- Hanging out at Barnes & Nobles; browsing through magazines and books
- Walking on the beach
- Spending the weekend doing absolutely nothing
- Eating cherries in the summertime
- Avocado toast
- Cooking new vegan recipes
- Cuddling with my furbabies (Angel, Daisy May & Gus)
- Spinach, dates, banana and almond milk smoothie
- Talking to my mom on the phone
- Starbucks soy latte
- Quiet time in my day for personal reflection
- A new haircut
- Being with my family in New York
- Visiting my extended family in California
- Warm, homemade bread and bun made by grandma and aunties
- Bird watching, not as corny as I thought it was
- Getting lost in a really good book
- Dancing to good music in my apartment with no one else around
- Binge watching on Netflix and Hulu
- My iPhone, iPad and Mac; love these things to death
- Lime fruit bars
- The smell of Pacifica's Gardenia body lotion
- Mommy-daughter coffee dates
- Hanging out in the kitten/cat room at Peggy Adams Rescue League, a local animal shelter
I'm still a firm believer that bad moods are okay, but it's also important to remember not lose ourselves in these funky thoughts.
Have you ever written down what makes you happy? What are the top things on your list?