3 Reasons to Eat Vegan Sloppy Joe's for Meatless Monday
Before becoming a vegan, I would make Sloppy Joe's with ground turkey every year for my daughter's birthday; it's our family tradition. Sloppy Joe's are another one of her favorite meals that I haven't made in awhile. So on Saturday when she requested I make vegan Sloppy Joe's for dinner I was more than happy to oblige. I don't know why I never thought to make vegan Sloppy Joe's before it's such an easy and simple vegan meal. This recipe is so simple I'm recommending you make it for your family's Meatless Monday meal. All you need is a package of Beyond Meat crumbles, a bottle of vegan Worcestershire sauce, sandwich rolls and a few other ingredients from your kitchen.
How to make Vegan Sloppy Joe's
1 cup Beyond Meat crumbles
1 medium onion diced
3 cloves of garlic diced
1 celery stalk diced
1 beefsteak tomato diced
½ cup ketchup
2 tsp barbecue sauce
2 tsp tomato paste
3 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cane or brown sugar
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1. Heat grapeseed oil in frying pan. Add diced garlic, onion and celery. Sauté for until onion is translucent. Add diced tomatoes and all seasoning. Cook for approximately 3 minutes to break down the tomatoes.
2. Add ketchup, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Add Beyond Meat crumbles. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Keep stirring.
4. Add sugar. Cook for 2 minutes, and keep stirring.
5. Serve hot on toasted sandwiches rolls. This recipe makes approximately 4-5 sandwiches.
Make Vegan Sloppy Joe's for Meatless Monday
Here are three reasons why you should make this meatless recipe tonight:
1. Sloppy Joe's are a kid-friendly dish. As I mentioned earlier, my daughter always wanted Sloppy Joe's for her birthday dinner, and at her birthday parties, this dish was a big hit with the kids. Yes, it created a bit of a mess, but I never had to convince any child at the party to eat it. They loved eating the "messy hamburger," or at least that's what they called it.
2. You can make this dish in less than an hour. It took me about 40 minutes to prepare this meal. This includes dicing the vegetables, which I did by hand so I wouldn't have to wash my food processor. What can I say, I'm lazy. It's easier to clean a cutting board than all the components of my large food processor. I toasted the sandwich rolls in the oven because it gives the sandwich a nice touch. What sandwich isn't better with toasted bread?
3. This vegan Sloppy Joe recipe tastes so similar to traditional Sloppy Joe's, you won't believe it's vegan. The Beyond Meat crumbles are delicious at times I question its meatlessness. The crumbles have the same texture as ground beef or turkey, and it absorbs any seasoning it's cooked with to perfection. Beyond Meat crumbles contain 13 grams of protein per serving, is GMO and gluten free. I promise you won't know you're not eating "meat".
Since today is Monday, consider giving this meatless recipe a try!
Don't forget to pin the recipe for future use.