Why I Love Taking #Selfies
I love taking selfies!
In fact, I'm proud to say I've perfected it. I'm no Kim Kardashian but my techniques are still impressive.
Wait...does this make me a narcissist?
I assure you I'm not. I don't post selfies for external validation, I don't need it because through the years I've learned to love and appreciate the person I am.
Here's why I love taking selfies...
1. I learned that I'm photogenic. You see for most of my life, I never saw myself as photogenic and I felt really awkward taking pictures. In my mind, my teeth were too big and looked even bigger when I smiled, my eyes were too small and totally disappeared when I smiled. I spent most of my youth rocking natural hair; a look that wasn't really popular back in the early 90's. Looking back, I see that I just didn't like looking at myself. I didn't want this "unhappiness" with my appearance immortalized in pictures. Taking numerous selfies forced me to realize that I do look good in pictures. Now I can proudly proclaim that I am photogenic!
2. I'm in control. I know how far away from my face to hold my iPhone and how to showcase my best features. I don't have to depend on another photographer to capture my beauty or essence I'm capable of doing it myself. I also don't have to smile or act cheerful in these pictures if I don't want to. I'm in control and as the person in control the only accessory I need in my selfies is my resting bitch face. Hahaha!
3. Selfies boost my confidence. I'm a completely different person than I was back in the "I hate photos" days. Taking selfies has helped me appreciate my wide nose, big teeth and round face, thereby increasing my confidence and encouraging me to appreciate my inner and outer beauty.
4. Allows me to track my progress. I love taking pictures of myself and I've got a massive selfie folder on my iPhone to prove it. I take tons of selfies that I don't post on my social media not because I'm conceited but because in these pictures I get to see the changes in my appearance. Like with my recent weight loss since going vegan...thanks to all my pics, the transformation is recorded allowing me to revel in my healthy living progress.
5. Acts as a mirror. These photos also help me to see an aspect of myself I rarely see. It shows me what other people see when they look at me while also serving as a reminder for me to appreciate myself. I think that's pretty cool too!
Wait! Does this contradict my earlier external validation comment? Ah...who cares! I'm allowed to be contradictory.
6. Selfies capture memories. Isn't that amazing? Whenever I visit my family or friend in New York or Los Angeles, I take a selfie. I love the idea of capturing the happiness and excitement we're feeling right in that moment. It's so wonderful looking back at the pictures and reliving the memories.
7. I look good! Yes, I have to admit, I look damn good and I've got the selfies to prove it.
Below are a few of my favorite selfies...
So what about you...do you like taking selfies? Leave a comment on your selfie stance below.