10 Quotes For Anyone Struggling with Perfectionism
"You're perfection" -- I repeat this perfectionism quote to myself every morning. Not because I'm a narcissist, but as a reminder that this current version of me is doing and being her best. You see, I struggle with perfectionism in all areas of my life. There's an inner voice constantly questioning me, trying to convince me that I'm not enough. Saying things like "what will people think? If you want to be respected Kwame, you have to be the best, achieve more, do more and be more".
I drove myself crazy trying to be this image I valued. I wanted so desperately to make everyone happy. At one point, I was so focused on being the perfect boss, employee, and mom, I started valuing the opinions of others over my own.
I'm working hard to ensure that this antiquated way of thinking represents the old me. Being the best and doing things perfectly is no longer an important value to me. What I value now, in this season of my life, is flexibility, freedom, comfort and safety. I no longer value competing with others to be the best employee, parent, friend or lover. I accept this current version of me. This version of Kwame, she's already perfect, as in complete. She no longer values being seen as perfect to others and definitely doesn't care what they think.
I compiled a list of quotes about perfectionism to help steer me back to my values and my "why" whenever I start to doubt myself. This a great read for anyone struggling with the same issues or questioning their worth.
- Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. -Anne Lamott
- Perfectionism becomes a badge of honor with you playing the part of the suffering hero. -David D. Burns
- Perfectionism attaches itself to what is valued in the culture. -Gloria Steinem
- Many people think of perfectionism as striving to be your best, but it is not about self-improvement; it's about earning approval and acceptance. -Brené Brown
- Perfectionism is not the same thing as striving to be our best. Perfectionism is not about healthy achievement and growth; it’s a shield. -Brené Brown
- At its root, perfectionism isn’t really about a deep love of being meticulous. It’s about fear. Fear of making a mistake. Fear of disappointing others. Fear of failure. Fear of success. -Michael Law
- Perfectionism is self-abuse of the highest order. -Anne Wilson Schaef
- Perfectionism is a delusion that can rob one of a very successful, enriching life if not careful. -April Bryan
- Healthy striving is self-focused: How can I improve? Perfectionism is other-focused: What will they think? Perfectionism is a hustle. -Brené Brown
- Perfectionism is a dream killer because it's just fear disguised as trying to do your best. It just is. -Mastin Kipp
I hope these perfectionism quotes help you whenever your issues with perfection make an appearance. Do you have a favorite quote or saying you recite to keep you centered and focused? If so, share it in the comments, I'd love to read it.