9 Ways to Celebrate Valentine's Day for Introverts & Single Ladies
Now what you're about to read may not be popular opinion but who cares, I'm entitled to my opinion. Right?
Valentine's Day is a crappy holiday. It's a commercialized day that disrupts lives by causing us to question our love for one another as well as our self worth. That may be a bit harsh but you get my drift.
When you're single the sea of love, flowers and cards can leave you feeling jealous of all the couples in the world. Celebrating the day of love as a single person may seem impractical but you've got to remember that Valentine's Day is really just like any other day, it's only important if you make it so.
Reframe your beliefs about V-day by celebrating in your own way.
- Enjoy a relaxing evening at home. Grab some popcorn, a glass of wine and indulge by watching movies about love and relationships. You know the kind of movies that left you wishing you were the leading lady. Some of my favorites include Something New, which is available on Netflix, Circle of Friends, Sex and the City, Think Like A Man, Love & Basketball. What's your favorite romantic movie?
- Dress up and go out to dinner with friends. Or just wear your favorite outfit to run your errands. Dressing up for yourself is a wonderful act of self love.
- Do some writing. If you're feeling nostalgic or find yourself fantasizing about the future, try writing a letter to your future spouse. What about you or life you'd want your future love to know?
- You can also write a letter to your future self. Share all the things you've learned about life and love. Wouldn't it be great to go back to that letter in a few years to see how you've grown?
- Treat yourself to something special like a full body massage, mani/pedi or if you're makeup junkie like me, buy a new product from Sephora or Ulta.
- Cook your favorite meal or if you hate cooking like me, order it. Oh, and don't forget about dessert.
- Take a trip. Go out of town, visit your family or friends. Spending time with loved ones is the perfect way to reframe how we view the day of love.
- Reread your favorite romance novel. I'm a fan of the Twilight series. I read those books in three weeks. Whatever you enjoy reading, immerse yourself in the story and enjoy.
- Do something good for someone else. Usually I buy my coworkers small boxes of chocolate or some other sweet treats. Buy a gift for a neighbor, friend or coworkers. Make someone else feel special.
I plan to spend the day with my daughter and furbabies, eating ice cream and watching Something New on Netflix. Hmph...not very different from how I usually spend my weekends.
What are your thoughts on Valentine's Day? How will you celebrate?
Image from CreateHer